By AL OSORIO
All manner of injustice and violence is hidden in the fog of time and adulterated history.
Following centuries of Diaspora, the Jewish people returned to their ancestral homeland . Eretz Israel, the land of Israel, the Promised Land. Promised to them by God, fulfilling prophecy from the Old Testament. Following centuries of religious persecution, the Christian people sought and found their own promised land, sailing across the sea to establish a colony in what is now Massachusetts.
They knocked, but no one answered the door
Palestine was sparsely settled, nomadic tribes foraged for food. “A land without people for a people without land”. Israel made the desert bloom. They delivered the blessings of Western civilization to the native tribes. The land discovered by the Christians was sparsely settled, nomadic tribes foraged for food from sea to shining sea. Manifest Destiny allowed these colonists to spread across the land, fulfilling their destiny as granted to them by God.
Comments from the original thread
- jackjodell53 says:Outstanding insight into both history and the human condition, Oso! It was relevant and fitting that you compared the evil present-day Israelis are committing against their Palestinian brothers with Manifest Destiny and the actions of other conquerors and warriors beforehand. Humankind ALWAYS goes to excess and makes horrible mistakes when it thinks and believes God is on our side. It leads to actions which are anything BUT Godlike!
- oso says:Thank you Jack. ‘God is on our side’ sums up so much of the carnage and suffering throughout history. Sad that something which is so comforting to its followers (like yourself and me) can do so much harm towards others. I can understand how some are repelled by its excesses.
- Gwendolyn H. Barry says:It has been my fascination to discover and learn about cultures… every since I was a child. I traveled all my life. I still love it. I built my business around my respect and curiosity for the Ancestors and the one resounding truth among them all is that we are all children of the Earth Mother. Science tells us we all traveled out of Africa across land bridges or by boat throughout the world and our seed of life is made of stardust. The San tribe of Africa carry the DNA of all races and you can see the brother/sisterhood in the faces of their tribe… some look Asian, some Indigenous American, some very WASP….
The Bible, a book written by men in order to consolidate social order and collect taxes / tithes, has never had but one resolution; hell or war. Rewards come only under pain of service to a fearsome old man on a throne whose minions come to earth to spread disease, destruction and retribution.
We are all brothers and sisters…. and the time has come to face our common enemy… those who profit and destroy the future generations. Look in the mirror … there is GOD. We must take responsibility for ourselves and our choices… stop placing it on the Unknowable or Unseen. It’s barbaric. It’s time to define the Unknown / Unseen from within ourselves.
From my observation of the one GOD….. he’s a barbarian. Worse. He’s merely the boogieman we give all glory or all blame to … like cowards. We don’t step up to the consequences and so we move along as the barbarian hordes giving service to the real earthly GODS who bank all of our hard work and fuck us back over again to use it to survive.
I mean no harm to you my Brother, Oso or Jack or any other ‘believer’…. I feel and think much as the Indigenous cultures do, we must take responsibility for ourselves before it’s too late … and science is beginning to say it IS too late. Pray toward heaven…. row toward shore.
Oso, we live in the days of individual choice for evolution or extinction. I choose evolution.
- Gwendolyn H. Barry says:* OSO* Great great post, btw! I do go off down the road… I know.
- oso says:Gwen you put it well, I understand and have your back completely!
- Krell says:I would say that the sign of a really great post is when you want to do some research before you even comment.It’s like you don’t want to defame the post by some comment that is not up to the level of the story. You know what I mean? This is one of those posts. This has some many insights, so many valid points… one is at a lost to even begin. First let me say that your grasp on the interplay of colliding civilizations is EXCELLENT! Your reference to Manifest Destiny and the parallel to the Israel / Palestine is a great example because it makes about as much sense. The geo-political strategy based on a religious “chosen path” is absurd. Another line … “No one should be expected to do penance for the sins of their forefathers. A child in Tokyo bears no responsibility for the crimes of Imperial Japan in Nanking. No Sunni living today victimized Hussein at Karbala.” Excellent! I have never understood this implied “linkage” between being critical of Israel and it’s policies, especially towards the Palestinians, and being labeled anti-Semitic. Can some one explain that to me, please? Being unresponsive to criticism from the world, ignoring world and UN opinions, and just relying on intensive lobbying on US politicians is a strategy that is only going to increase isolationism and resentment. “What if an Indian/Hispanic whose ancestors converted to Catholicism seizes an apartment in the Vatican?” implies that logic carries for both sides when we all know this is never the case. The Balfour Declaration by the British in 1917 established a homeland for the Jews with the express condition that they live co-existent to the Palestinians. After WW2 it was the Jewish terrorist group, the Stern Gang and another the Irgun, that drove the British out of Israel after the King David hotel bombing. The colliding of cultures has a long history of tragedy. Rarely does fair play a part and never does the absorbed get to write the history books. This was a very fascinating post, Oso. I’m going to give some more thought and possibly come back for another comment if you don’t mind. Excellent!
If you liked this article, why not support The Greanville Post by buying our T-shirt, a mug, a mousepad, or any other item now in our store? That way you donate a few dollars and also get a nice gift. It’s a win-win formula!
Created By CrankyBeagle for The Greanville Post
An affordable alternative heavyweight t-shirt for the value conscious consumer. Pre-shrunk and made from 5.5 oz 100% heavyweight cotton. It has double-needle stitched bottom and hems for extra durability. Also available for ladies, kids, long sleeves, etc. Big assortment of colors & sizes. Everything top quality and very reasonably priced. Orders filled in 24 hours.