PAUL STREET—Contrary to the president’s throwback protectionist rhetoric, it’s not about simple import substitution: our goods for their goods. The multinational corporations atop global capitalism developed an international division of labor geared largely to China’s vast reservoir of cheap labor power decades ago. At the same time, Trump’s tariffs are a significant tax on U.S. consumers, something that promises to restrict consumer demand and thereby help move up the date of the next big recession.
- ABOMINATIONSCAPITALIST SICKNESSCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDA
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN DUPLICITYCAPITALIST TENTACLES & FRONTSCHINACIA / INTEL AGENCIESCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDA
TONHY CARTALUCCI—The NED itself is chaired by prominent American pro-war advocates as well as advocates for regime change. For example, NED board member Elliot Abrams is listed as “on leave” while he attempts to organize the overthrow of the Venezuelan government. Despite the organization’s name, the National Endowment for Democracy merely hides its regime change agenda behind the notion of “promoting democracy.”
- ACTIVISTS & HEROESAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMCAPITALIST SICKNESSCAPITALIST TENTACLES & FRONTSCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDAECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANET
KENN ORPHAN—Bolsonaro, backed by a cadre of evangelical fanatics, racists, homophobes, and an entrenched military junta, is now dismantling any remaining protections for the besieged ecosystems and communities of the country. He has emboldened loggers, ranchers and mining interests with his fascist rhetoric, many of whom have threatened indigenous peoples with violence.
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN DUPLICITYCAPITALIST SICKNESSCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDA
CAITLIN JOHNSTONE—I really think the mainstream idea that we can always make a mad dash for the black emptiness in the sky if things go to shit here keeps us from truly confronting our urgent need to preserve the ecosystemic context in which we evolved, and which there’s no evidence that we can live without.
- CAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCAPITALIST FRONTSCAPITALIST SICKNESSCIA / INTEL AGENCIESCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDAUS GOVERNMENT CRIMESVIRTUALUNIV
ED CURTIN—The ruling ideology since the fall of the Berlin Wall, or even earlier, is postmodernism. This is the ideological embellishment that the brutal neoliberal attack on Western societies’ welfare (that was launched in the late 1970s) required in order to attain a “human”, “liberal” and “progressive” face. This coalition between an economic policy that serves the interest of a tiny minority, and an ideology that appears to “include” everybody is what Nancy Fraser has aptly called “progressive neoliberalism”.