DAVE WALSH—If the rejuvenated Roseanne, which has certainly lost much of its freshness, continues to strike a chord with the public, that is also something of a commentary on the generally awful character and quality of network television at present, dominated by zealous, humorless policemen, CIA and FBI agents and other representatives of law and order.
CULTURE & COMEDY
- AMERICAN STUDIESAMERICAN WAY OF LIFECULTURE & COMEDYCULTURE & CRITICISMMEDIA FRONT
- CULTURE & COMEDYHUMOUR & SATIRE
Family Feud Host Steve Harvey hits the laughter mother lode as the family tries to escape giving the same wrong answer.
Is this the worst answer ever? Judge for yourself…This is not endorsement of Steve Harvey the misguided reactionary bigot.
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN STUDIESAMERICAN WAY OF LIFECHINACHINESE WAY OF LIFECHRISTIANITY & JUDAISMCHRISTIANITY & SOCIALISMCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDACITIZENS' MEDIACULTURE & COMEDYCULTURE & CRITICISMCULTURE & HISTORY
Why are most people in China still atheist, although the government has legalized religion and social reform. They tend to revive atheism instead and making it worse.
KEVIN DOLGIN—These three religions were no more contradictory in the minds of the Chinese over the millennia than three different philosophies might be and most people kind of mingle them (certainly the first two). Indeed, once again, they are more philosophies than religions in many respects. You don’t go to church, you don’t even really pray (although Taoism and Buddhism are big on meditation), there typically is no concept of a creator god, and none of them are really big on proselytising.
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN DUPLICITYAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN PARTY DUOPOLYAMERICAN STUDIESAMERICAN WAY OF LIFECultureCULTURE & COMEDYCULTURE & CRITICISM
STEPHEN COOPER—Equally more illuminating than Brinkmann’s minimalist musings is masterful American writer James Baldwin’s take on modern society’s lack of consciousness. In his essay “Mass Culture and the Creative Artist,” Baldwin piercingly observed: “What the mass culture really reflects . . . is the American bewilderment in the face of the world we live in. We do not seem to want to know that we are in the world…
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN DUPLICITYAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN PROPAGANDAAMERICAN STUDIESCULTURE & COMEDYCULTURE & CRITICISMCULTURE & HISTORY
ERIC ZUESSE—There is a problem, but it is not ‘sexual harassment’. It is sexual…