KENN ORPHAN—Bolsonaro, backed by a cadre of evangelical fanatics, racists, homophobes, and an entrenched military junta, is now dismantling any remaining protections for the besieged ecosystems and communities of the country. He has emboldened loggers, ranchers and mining interests with his fascist rhetoric, many of whom have threatened indigenous peoples with violence.
- ACTIVISTS & HEROESAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMCAPITALIST SICKNESSCAPITALIST TENTACLES & FRONTSCITIZENS COUNTER-PROPAGANDAECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANET
- AMERICAN BRAINWASHAMERICAN DUPLICITYAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN PARTY DUOPOLYECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANET
PATRICK WALKER—But even if climate-based impeachment strikes climate activists as too risky, we should demand some related penance of Democrats—like using language that exposes Trump and Republicans’ biggest vulnerability while forcing Democrats themselves to publicly take the climate emergency seriously. As Democrats’ penance for Russiagate, I propose demanding that Democratic presidential candidates refer to Trump’s climate policy as climate genocide or a crime against humanity, with climate activists dispensing extra forgiveness (or brownie points) for adding the word racist to each formula.
- ACTIVISTS & HEROESAMERICAN STUDIESANIMAL DEFENDERSANTI-CORPORATISMCAPITALIST SICKNESSCITIZENS' MEDIACULTURE & HISTORYECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANETVIRTUALUNIVWater of Life
MICHAEL K SMITH—Abbey called himself a racist in Confessions of a Barbarian, though he defined the term as an aversion to being dominated by a race to which one did not belong, which definition would render nearly all of humanity “racist”: “Am I a racist? I guess I am. I certainly do not wish to live in a society dominated by blacks, or Mexicans, or Orientals. Look at Africa, at Mexico, at Asia.” Abbey was aware of the contributions of Western colonialism and imperialism to the widespread misery found in those regions, but argued it was but “Western guilt neurosis” to assign primacy to them in accounting for Third World conditions in the late twentieth century.
- ANIMAL EXPLOITERSANNOTATED NEWSBACKWARD TRADITIONSBETTER HUMANITYCAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCAPITALIST SYSTEMIC POVERTYCHINACHINESE WAY OF LIFECULTURE & CRITICISMECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANETVIRTUALUNIV
Modernization has been a dream of China’s for a century. After the Great Cultural Revolution, the Chinese government joined most developing countries in treating modernization as its goal. China’s achievements on this path, such as its fast GDP growth, have amazed the world. However, the price has been extremely high, including environmental problems, an increasing gap between the rich and the poor, and growing disenchantment with growth within the populace as a whole. Is there any alternative to the current form of modernization? “Constructive postmodern thinking proposes such an alternative.”81 Kang Ouyang, a leading Marxist scholar in China and vice president of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, has explored the positive and negative sides of modernization. For him the negative includes: treating economic growth as the ultimate goal; neglecting ecology, the value of tradition, and aesthetic wisdom as complements to scientific knowledge; rejection of the positive role that religion can play in human life; and overemphasis on individuality at the expense of community.
- ABOMINATIONSAMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN WAY OF LIFEANIMAL EXPLOITERSANIMAL LIVESCORPORATE CRIMINALITYCORPORATE MENTALITYCORPORATE OWNED PARTIESCULTURAL SAVAGERYECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANET
Since the Industrial Revolution, the techniques of advanced production have spread to every country of the globe. All countries contribute to the production of greenhouse gases and deforestation, which are the main drivers of climate change. As a result, any effort to halt rising worldwide temperatures must be inherently international to have any chance of success. Despite the claims of Sanders, Ocasio-Cortez and their allies, no reduction of greenhouse gas emissions within the borders of the United States would bring a halt to rising worldwide temperatures.