When you consider Obama’s record after four years in office–a multi-trillion-dollar bailout of Wall Street, the continuing “war on terror,” more civil liberties shredded, the Employee Free Choice Act abandoned, deportations on the rise, a deepening assault on public schools–the answer has to be no. The list of broken promises and betrayed hopes goes on and on, outweighing anything that could be described as progress.
- AMERICAN STUDIESANNOTATED NEWSANTI-CORPORATISMANTIWARASSHOLES, BASTARDS & CRIMINALSBATTLE OF COMMUNICATIONSCAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCLASS STRUGGLECORPORATE OWNED PARTIES
- AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN PROPAGANDAAMERICAN STUDIESANGLO-AMERICAN ALLIANCEBATTLE OF COMMUNICATIONSCAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCAPITALIST SYSTEMIC POVERTYCAPITALIST TENTACLES & FRONTS
PAUL TREANOR—Libertarianism is part of the Anglo-American liberal tradition in political philosophy. It is a development of classic liberalism, and not a separate category from it. It is specifically associated with the United States, and to a lesser extent with Britain and its former ‘white colonies’ (Canada, Australia, New Zealand). Many libertarian authors know only North American political culture and society. They claim universal application for libertarianism, but it remains culture-bound. For instance, some libertarians argue by quoting the US Constitution – apparently without realising that it only applies in the USA. Most online material on libertarianism contrasts it to ‘liberalism’, but that is also culturally specific.
- ASSHOLES, BASTARDS & CRIMINALSBATTLE OF COMMUNICATIONSCONSERVATIVES & REACTIONCORPORATE TELEVISIONCULTURE & CRITICISMGREAT HYPOCRISYIMPERIAL APOLOGISTS & COLLABOSRELIGIOSITY & SUPERSTITION
BILL VAN AUKEN—”Bergoglio (the new Pope Francis) was ideologically predisposed to backing the mass political killings unleashed by the junta. In the early 1970s, he was associated with the right-wing Peronist Guardia de Hierro (Iron Guard), whose cadre—together with elements of the Peronist trade union bureaucracy—were employed in the death squads known as the Triple A (Argentine Anti-Communist Alliance), which carried out a campaign of extermination against left-wing opponents of the military before the junta even took power…”
- ANIMAL EXPLOITERSANNOTATED NEWSBACKWARD TRADITIONSBETTER HUMANITYCAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCAPITALIST SYSTEMIC POVERTYCHINACHINESE WAY OF LIFECULTURE & CRITICISMECOANIMALENVIRONMENTAL STRUGGLESSAVING THE PLANETVIRTUALUNIV
Modernization has been a dream of China’s for a century. After the Great Cultural Revolution, the Chinese government joined most developing countries in treating modernization as its goal. China’s achievements on this path, such as its fast GDP growth, have amazed the world. However, the price has been extremely high, including environmental problems, an increasing gap between the rich and the poor, and growing disenchantment with growth within the populace as a whole. Is there any alternative to the current form of modernization? “Constructive postmodern thinking proposes such an alternative.”81 Kang Ouyang, a leading Marxist scholar in China and vice president of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, has explored the positive and negative sides of modernization. For him the negative includes: treating economic growth as the ultimate goal; neglecting ecology, the value of tradition, and aesthetic wisdom as complements to scientific knowledge; rejection of the positive role that religion can play in human life; and overemphasis on individuality at the expense of community.
- AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISMAMERICAN PROPAGANDAANTI-COMMUNISMANTI-CORPORATISMANTI-IMPERIALISM FIGHTERSANTI-NEOLIBERALISMCAPITALISM & SOCIALISMCAPITALIST TENTACLES & FRONTSRUSSIA & NOVOROSSIYASOVIET UNIONTRUE HISTORYUS GOVERNMENT CRIMESWESTERN MEDDLING & HYPOCRISY
MICHAEL PARENTI’s classic analysis of the ovetrthrow of communism at the hands of Western economic, military and above all, propaganda assault, designed to exploit the weaknesses developed in the Soviet System.